Saturday, October 30, 2010

what if this was my last day?

Today, feeling the way I do, I needed some sort of corner-turning.  In the middle of cup number two and a half-awake dredging of the net, I came upon this:

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/10/27/twenty-first-century-2.html

It was a nice random sign, pointing to a past path forgotten.

While in university, I had the curiosity, but not the stamina to go the distance in one subject, so I tended to select classes from a broad palette.  During one spell of curiosity,  I took several philosophy courses.  For that academic moment, I was enthralled by all the past voices that offered up explanations and method for what was my daily toil.   I went through the course, directing me to thoughts and thinkers until, given the time point and stage of life,  I got to Existentialism.  Starting with Kierkegaard and and Nietzsche, and following to Sartre and Camus, I read the thinkers and the writers of the movement.  I found what spoke to me and became uninterested in the rest.

Fast forward to today.  My mind has been in turmoil these last few weeks (overloaded by various stresses and negative thoughts), and so I have been thinking about some sort of framework that I could use to help support my state of mind.  I have been thinking about doing some coursework in Buddhism while I am in India/Nepal, figuring it best to take a little look while at the source, as it can't hurt.

Enter the above article.  Stoicism.  It holds many similarities to Buddhism, but also offers some practical techniques to help in the appreciation of our present, as well as how to lessen the impact of loss.  One such technique is negative visualization.  An exercise in which one contemplates a negative outcome so as to stress how one's present isn't so bad.  For example, if you are in a situation that is bringing you pleasure, quickly think about it being taken away.  The goal is that these negative visualizations take the form of a fleeting thought, which is meant to remind us, when it is gone, how lucky we are and to enjoy positive things in our life.

This little exercise has put me in a better head space today so that I have decided to explore it further.  But also, while in India/Nepal I shall also take advantage of the opportunities on offer as far as yoga, meditation and the exploration of the Buddhist worldview.  I need some new insights on the dealing with the heaviness of stress in this life.  I want to feel light again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment