Monday, October 25, 2010

becoming (a) regular: haircuts 1

Life's little tasks, the forgettable moments that fill our day, are taken for granted.

And for me living abroad, they have been no different.  But, given a second glance, they contain some truth of our day-to-day, as much as the larger events of our days.  One such task is the haircut.  I have been lucky in my time abroad to have found many a great friend in my barber/hair stylist.  This post is a tribute to the people that have cut my hair and the positivity they all gave to my experience abroad.



Taka; Bloom Salon, Nagaoka, Japan
My first time living abroad, I was placed in a small village (7000 people) called Nishiyama.  So small that we had a 7-11, ramen shop and grocery store, but no barber shop.  I think I hit a run of random hair cuts until meeting Taka through a mutual friend.  He fit the part of the expat-returnee to the inaka, with his shock of hair and style.  My Japanese was horrible at the time, but Taka, whom had just returned from London to open his salon, spoke excellent English.  He was a great stylist, and it was my first introduction to the Japanese two hour cut, with several stages including a head massage.  It was a great way to learn about the culture and language.  He helped me through the confusion of what is Japan in your first year.  Taka and I became friends and would go and shoot billiards, drink beers and teach each other language.  A good guy that I hope is well.  久しぶりですね?

No comments:

Post a Comment